Ecodesign Directive, also called Energy related Products Directive, has been introduced by the European Union as part of a climate protection program and its commitment to reduce carbon emissions. The Ecodesign defines minimum efficiency requirements for energy-related products such as water heaters, heat pumps, hot water storage tanks, boilers and solar water heaters. All manufacturers must comply with this new directive from September 26th, 2015.
What is ErP Directive?
The ErP Directive is made up of 2 important parts:
1. Ecodesign Directive – sets minimum acceptable energy efficiency levels, as well as environmental requirements for energy-related products. The Ecodesign applies to renewable energy water heaters, electric water heaters, heat pumps (with a rated heat output < 400kW), boilers (with a rated heat output < 65kW), hot water storage tanks (with volume less than 500 litres)
2. Energy Labeling Directive – imposes mandatory classification of every energy-related product in terms of energy consumption, noise level and other product-specific information.
All products need to be ranked from A (highest efficiency) to G (lowest efficiency).
Why is it important?
With the new ErP regulation the European Union plans to achieve the so-called 20-20-20 target, which aims, by 2020, to:
- Decrease CO² emissions by 20%
- Reduce the use of primary energy by 20%
- Increase renewable energy share by 20%
These actions will have a strong positive impact in terms of environmental protection and energy savings stimulation.
How do the industry and the market react?
By imposing a restriction on the power consumption of energy-related products, the ErP Directive stimulates manufacturers to create more efficient and performant products, which consume less energy, for lower costs.
In addition, the Directive excludes from the market all low performance energy-using products that don’t meet the Ecodesign Directive requirements.
What Ygnis products fall under ErP Directive?
All boilers with rated heat output of up to 70 kW and hot water tanks with volume of up to 500 liters fall under the new European Directive. Specifically, following Ygnis products are affected:
- Varfree boilers of 40 and 60 kW
- Condensinox boilers of 60 and 40kW
- Varino boilers of 65kW
- Varino Grande boilers of 65kW
- Hot water storage tanks of up to 500L
These products are supplied with energy label and with installation manuals as they also include ErP information.